Internet Safety and Social Networking Guidelines
- Students should treat the Internet as a virtual extension of the real world. In other words, there are some sites that students can safely visit and other sites where parental guidance is highly recommended. Always ask a parent if you are not sure if you should visit a site or use an online service.
- Student behavior on the Internet should be identical to student behavior in face-to-face interactions with people. Always treat others with respect and kindness, the same way that you would like to be treated.
- Students should never do anything online or in face-to-face communication that they would not want reported by the news media. Always behave appropriately and positively.
- Students should have no expectation of anonymity on the Internet, period. Nearly everything that that we do and everywhere that we go online is logged and traceable.
- Students should never type personal information into a website without your parents’ guidance.
- Just like in the face-to-face world, students should never communicate with others that they do not know without parental guidance.
- If you think that you have made a mistake or created a difficult situation for yourself on the Internet, please tell a parent or trusted adult and ask them for help.
- If you know someone else that is experiencing difficulty online and needs help, convince them to talk to a parent or trusted adult.
- If you know someone that is involved in a dangerous situation online, immediately ask a parent or trusted adult for help.
- Always treat online usernames and passwords the same way you would treat the keys to your house. Keep them safe and secure, never share them with anyone, and always log out of all online services when you are finished using them.
Report Social Networking Inappropriate Behavior or Abuse
Social Networking Required Minimum Age
Twitter No age limit but Twitter does not collect personal information from those under 13
FaceBook 13 years of age or older
Instagram No age limit but Instagram does not collect personal information from those under 13
Oovoo 13 years of age or older
SnapChat 13 years of age or older
Kik 13 years of age or older
Pinterest 13 years of age or older
YouTube 13 years of age or older
Google+ 13 years of age or older
Skype 18 years of age or older
Tumblr 13 years of age or older